Haishu District is named after the Haishu Building, which can be dated back to the Tang Dynasty. This building was first established in the year of 821, and was re-built in 1585 in the Ming Dynasty. It had been a place of strategic importance all through the history. In March, 1984, Haishu District was officially announced as an administrative district by the Provincial Government. In September，2016，nine townships (including sub-districts) of the original Yinzhou District newly joined in Haishu District due to the readjustment of the division of administrative regions.